Thursday, March 4, 2010

Persuasive Speech Comment - Ahsan

Hi, Esther here! After listening to a whole bunch of persuasive speeches by my classmates, one that really stood out was Ahsan's speech.

Ahsan spoke about how Grades DO NOT encourage learning, how most students simply memorize or study just for the sake of getting high grades, and not for the sake of true learning.

He started off with a show of hands on who was honestly doing this persuasive speech because they wanted an 'A' for this subject, and then gave examples on the whiteboard how different teens from around the world have committed suicide because of poor grades.

He also talked about how the grading system just ends up degrading people, like how if you get an "F" grade, then you're a failure in life and vice versa. Then he said that this isn't true because a person's grade does not define his entire being, that there is much more to a person past the alphabet.

He ended with a thought on how we all chase after good grades, how we stress and suffer and some even commit suicide...over an alphabet, or numbers. Is that what life is about?

Wow. Ahsan's speech really impacted me. I felt like I was a real victim of this whole grading system, and realized that in some ways, I have been blinded by a silly alphabet, and have misjudged people based on that silly alphabet too!

Ahsan was very persuasive, in my opinion, because I could feel that he truly believed what he was saying. His passion for the subject really gave him that edge, to the point the class's atmosphere changed as he talked about the suicides.

I think Ahsan can probably do better if he didn't move around a lot. Of course, he should move, but I think because of a slight case of nervousness (and his personality) he was bopping a bit much, like he was going to start dancing. That, and a bit of gesture control would be great. I think he just needs to be a biiiiiit more careful about what he does with his hands, like running through his hair (again, another personality thing?) and flailing it about too much.

Yeah, but overall? I thoroughly enjoyed Ahsan's speech. Until I quite forgot that I was the timekeeper too. Hahaha! But he finished with an excellent time. Great job, Ahsan! =)


2 comments:

  1. Yes to Esther :)

    I think that Ahsan has impacted me alot with his speech, especially when he asked something to do with whether we are worried about our grades or the presentation. Something like that. AND at that moment I felt so bad because I was going to do my presentation for the sake of my grades and never thought how to impress and persuade people.

    Overall i think it was good, but Ahsan should at least tie up the hair ,and he'll probably look much better :)

    Good Luck!

    amy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was inspired by the way he elaborate his points, eyes contact and the tone when he present the final speech. His speech was quite interesting and it was quite useful for my next presentation.

    Ahsan, you the MAN!
    by Chee Hui

    ReplyDelete