Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Jasnitha's Persuasive Speech Reflection

My speech's title was Violent Video Games Causes Teenagers To Be More Aggressive.  I am pretty sure everyone in class noticed the fact that i was not breathing at all while i was talking. I actually had to stop a couple of times in between to breathe and try not faint there and then. My gestures, body language and eye contact was really terrible and that affected my marks so terribly. I really have no idea why did i hold my breath while i was giving my speech. The thing is, i practiced my speech beforehand so many times at home and I DID THE SAME THING AT HOME. Presentation Skills has to be the most simplest class so far and im doing so terribly! I have always had this stage fright problem.Always. Until now i have no idea how am i supposed to calm down.

From the moment miss called up my name to the point where i walked back to my seat, i was a total nervous wreck. I think the reason why i didn't maintain much eye contact at all with my audience was because i don't like getting all that attention. Everyone is staring at you wide eyes, waiting for you to say your words, scrutinizing your EVERY move. The fact that the whole class will be looking at me scared the crap out of me.

Yes, i can tell people off when i get pissed, i.e - when group assignments are not being done properly and people are taking advantage of me. That  is not nerve wrecking because its just one to one AND i would have to be angry at that moment. Not just me alone talking to 30 other people. It is very different from going up in front of 30 people and giving your speech.

My marks would have been a  tad bit better if i moved around the room a bit and looked at my audiences. The only person i remember looking at was Ms. Cheryl, Adrian and Thina. I think i also paced back and forth a bit? Which is bad.  I feel content wise (based on my marks), i did okay. I did do my research because i knew that i could get that one thing right. If given the chance, i would re-do my speech if i have conquered my stage fright and also figured out how to breath normally while giving my speech. I know what i am doing wrong but i don't have a clue how to get over it. The first time we had to go up and give a speech (the one where we had to choose an item and relate ti to ourselves), i couldn't even finish the speech AND i was in the verge of tears when i sat back! haha. yes, i am THAT terrified of speaking in front of a crowd, even if the audience consists of  people who i meet often.

Honestly, i really don't think i have improved much but that is to be blamed on me myself, not the lecturer. Like i said earlier, i need to figure out how to get over this stage fright then things should pick up from there. Everyone has stage fright, but everyone has it on a different amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment